A new year, a new you.
As we close out the past year and begin to usher in the new, resolutions fly as we set goals for ourselves. ‘Eat healthier’, ‘maintain a workout routine’, ‘read more often’…the list goes on… This year, as we reflect on ways to improve, remember to set goals that are easy and enjoyable to achieve. Hey, we’ve all put “wake up” on our to-do list before. There’s nothing wrong with diving deeper into your passion! With that in mind, check out Blue Marlin Dive’s 20 New Year’s Resolutions to become a better dive buddy and ocean ambassador!
- I will stop putting my mask on my forehead because I realise that besides signalling that I am a panicked diver, it makes me look like a n00b.
- I will make sure to get my gear serviced this year. That way I can ensure my equipment lasts longer and decrease the risk of being on a boat, gearing up, and then realising my leaky hose is a ticking time bomb.
- I will stop giggling at the word “safety sausage”.
- I will get involved in a conservation effort. (Ideas: participate in citizen science by uploading manta underbellies, take up the fight against single-use plastics, participate in a beach cleanup…)
- I will stop regularly bragging on Facebook about how amazing my dive was because I realise it’s obnoxious. (Listen, if you see a flamboyant cuttlefish, by all means, yell it to the world.)
- I will make sure I own a mask and bring it with me on dive trips because I realise that being underwater is pretty much a million times better if I don’t have to stress about fogging and leaking for the majority of my dive. Plus, it’s super easy to pack. Wondering what to look for in a mask? Check out our handy guide.
- I will stop peeing in rental wetsuits. I will try to stop peeing in my personal wetsuit. TRY.
- I will upgrade my certification: Advanced, Rescue, Divemaster, Tec 40, Tec CCR 100, or Course Director… Keep learning.
- I will not show up hungover in the morning. (Don’t worry. The first of the year doesn’t count.)
- I will improve my air consumption by diving more, being in good shape, and maintain better overall health. But we were going to start working out this year anyway. Right? Two birds. One stone. For the win.
- I will stop telling that joke about the Irish diver. You know, where Paddy asks Murphy: “Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?” To which Murphy replies:”You thick idiot – If they fell forwards they’d still be in the f@*&*n’ boat”. Starting now.
- I will visit a new dive destination. Love Blue Marlin? Remember we have shops in different locations! Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, Gili Air, Komodo, and Senggigi! Five different locations, five different experiences!
- I will remember that everything I see underwater is magnified and stop exaggerating about the size of that turtle I saw that one time. (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MASSIVE.)
- I will buy a red filter for my camera, cut down on the underwater selfies, and edit the hours of GoPro footage I have taken. Or I’ll just realise that I don’t need to capture every single minute of that clownfish.
- I will gain a new dive buddy. I will learn from those with more experience and rediscover the joy in experiencing the underwater world for the first time with newbies.
- I will pinpoint my dream dive destination and start growing a vacation fund.
- I will stop referring to fins as flippers. Because Flipper was a dolphin.
- I will experience the pirate lifestyles of a liveaboard. Dive, eat, sleep, repeat. Arrrrrr.
- I will stop insisting on using hand signals above water.
- I will dive more regularly. No matter if I live on a tropical island, temperate coastal region, or landlocked country with a few lakes or rivers nearby – I will try somewhere new. Whether it is a quick 2-hour drive, a 2-hour flight, or even a 20-hour flight – I will log more dives.
Just remember – You were fabulous last year, this year should be no different.
Happy New Year and happy bubbles!